Study Contribution

According to the Children's Act, a parent liable for child support can be ordered to pay study contribution to a young person aged 18 to 20. The parent liable for child support then continues to pay child support, but the payment goes to the young person and not the other parent. District Commissioners in Iceland confirm an agreement or make a ruling on study contributions, but TR mediates these payments.

Payments only need to applied for once an will continue for the next 2 years unless TR receives a request to the contrary.

If the District Commissioner rules that a parent liable for child support does not have to pay study contribution due to low income, the young person can apply for child pension instead.

Study contribution can be paid retroactively up to one year from the time all documents have been received.

Documents supporting the application

  • Confirmed agreement or ruling from the District Commissioner on the parent's obligation to pay study contribution
  • School certificate with number of credits

Study Contribution